We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here's our process.
Nothing is more heartbreaking for us dog owners than watching our furry friend suffer.
Because pets can't tell us they are in pain or not feeling good, many dogs owners fail to realize their dogs are suffering right away.
But eventually we do notice something is wrong and want to do whatever we can to help our dog.
As a loving dog owner, you want the best for them. Whether your dog has arthritis, pain, anxiety, mobility issues, or seizures.
You have confidence that CBD oil may be able to ease these conditions so that your pet can live a happier, healthier life.
And for this reason, you're searching for the best CBD oil for dogs. Well in this article, we’ll provide you with the best CBD oil for dogs products to consider, along with helpful tips to make sure you know how to use CBD safely and more.
7 Best CBD Oil for Dogs (2022)
Through comprehensive research, there were factors we always had to keep in mind in order to find the best of the best CBD oil for dogs.
Each of these products and brands has been thoroughly tested by third-party labs and reviewed based on Quality of Ingredients, Hemp Source, Grown and extracted in the USA, Value for the Cost, Lab Test Results, Quality of Customer Service, Brand Reputation, as well as Customer Experiences.
Reviews Of The 7 Best CBD Oil For Dogs
Since all dogs are unique, it may take some time for you to notice a difference in your pet. Some dogs show results right away, while others take a few weeks. The key is to be consistent and stick with it.
Note: Product prices listed are sourced from the manufacturers and accurate as of the publication date.
1. Medterra CBD Drops for Pets - Best THC-Free
Brand and Product Description
As a popular brand, Medterra is dedicated to helping your pets, and it offers pure CBD extracts that are carefully researched, formulated, and created by veterinarians.
Read our full Medterra review.
These CBD drops are available in three different strengths: 150 milligrams per 0.5 fl oz, 300, and 750 milligrams per 1 Fl oz bottle to suit the size of your pup and his needs.
And come in a few different pet-friendly flavors to pick from—including beef, chicken, or unflavored.
Medterras' hemp is grown and extracted in the USA, and their quality pet CBD is fully compliant under the Kentucky Department of Agricultural Industrial Hemp Pilot Program and they are certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority to ensure high quality and uncompromising safety.
We are impressed by their customer service which is knowledgeable, helpful, and very responsive to customers.
Medterra CBD Pet Oil Flavors and Price
Available in three flavors - Beef, Chicken, and Unflavored.
- CBD Pet Oil, 150mg of CBD per bottle, 10mg of CBD per 1ml - $19.99
- CBD Pet Oil, 300mg of CBD per bottle, 10mg of CBD per 1ml - $24.99
- CBD Pet Oil, 750mg of CBD per bottle, 25mg of CBD per 1ml - $39.99
- CBD Pet Oil, 1200mg of CBD per bottle, 40mg of CBD per 1ml - $54.99
This pet tincture falls in line at an excellent price point for a real, organically grown hemp, pesticide-free CBD product from a reputable company. This is by far my favorite company for THC-free products.
Use code "OFFER15" for 15% off at checkout.
2. Extract Labs CBD Fetch Tincture For Pets - Best Full-Spectrum
Brand and Product Description
Extract Labs CBD for pets products is crafted with quality, top-shelf full-spectrum CBD. They are pet people who believe that no pet owner wouldn't want to give their pet anything less than the absolute best.
They created a gentle, pet-friendly tincture that soothes and calms and helps with pain and discomfort.
These CBD Tinctures are available in two different strengths: 500 milligrams per 1 fl oz and 1000 milligrams per 2 Fl oz bottle. Since it doesn't have any flavoring, try mixing it in with your dog's favorite food.
Extract Labs Fetch CBD oil tinctures are made with all-natural ingredients with no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or colors.
And Extract Labs CBD oil for dogs uses top-quality Colorado-grown hemp extract that is Certified Organic, Certified Vegan, Certified Kosher, Non-GMO, 100% natural, and Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP).
Customers rave about their readily available and knowledgeable customer service team.
Extract Labs CBD Oil Tincture For Dogs Flavors and Price
Available in unflavored.
- Fetch Tincture, 500mg CBD per 30ml bottle - $35.00
- Fetch Tincture, 1000mg CBD per 60ml bottle - $60.00
Extract Labs is an impressive CBD company. Veteran-founded and customer-oriented that has created a premium line of CBD oil for dogs that does not contain harmful chemicals or additives.
Use code "GET15" for 15% off at checkout.
3. 4 Corners Cannabis Pet Tincture - Listed Number One By the American Veterinary Association
Brand and Product Description
One of the first CBD companies, 4 Corners Cannabis CBD is one of the most highly regarded quality CBD products you’ll find on the market offering CBD pet products that work effectively and relatively quickly.
4 Corners Cannabis has a nice variety of strength options for small, medium, and large dogs that include:
Complete Spectrum options are 250 milligrams, 500 milligrams per 0.50 Fl oz, and 1000 milligrams, 2000 milligrams per 1 Fl oz bottle.
THC-Free options are 1000 milligrams per 1 Fl oz, 2000 milligrams per 1 Fl oz, and 7000 milligrams per 4 Fl oz, 14,000 milligrams per 8 Fl oz bottle.
Peanut Butter Pet Tincture options are 1000 milligrams and 2000 milligrams per 1 fl oz bottle.
Based on a farm in Colorado, 4 Corners grows its own hemp and oversees all aspects of growth and extraction and all of its pet CBD products are made with 100% food-grade ingredients, so they are completely safe for your cherished furry friend.
And unlike a significant proportion of its rivals, 4 Corners Cannabis CBD pet tinctures have a golden hemp seed oil base, which is more gentle on animals’ stomachs than the MCT base used in most tinctures.
4 Corners Pet Tincture For Dogs Flavors and Price
Available in unflavored and peanut butter.
- Pet Tincture 250mg bottle, 0.42mg of CBD per drop -$12.49
- Pet Tincture 500mg bottle, 0.84mg of CBD per drop -$22.49
- Pet Tincture 1,000mg bottle, 0.84mg of CBD per drop -$39.99
- Pet Tincture 2000mg bottle, 1.67 mg of CBD per drop -$69.99
Overall, 4 Corners Cannabis has a solid reputation coupled with outstanding customer reviews and ratings. Most people rave about the efficacy of the CBD Tinctures and customer service.
Pet owners agree: This CBD provides a wealth of benefits for their dogs. From calming anxiety to reducing inflammation to relieving arthritis.
4. NuLeaf Naturals CBD Pet Oil - Best High-Potency
Brand and Product Description
NuLeaf Naturals is a popular option for CBD pet oil products with over 2,000 reviews and who operate on a ‘seed-to-shelf’ basis to guarantee its products are of the highest quality. This means that they have control of the entire farming and production process.
Read our full NuLeaf Naturals review.
Each drop has 3mg of CBD and comes in three size options that include 300 milligrams per .17 Fl oz, 900 milligrams per .5 Fl oz, and 1800 milligrams per 1 fl oz bottle. These are available in a single bottle, pack of two, or pack of six.
NuLeaf Naturals industry-leading extracts offer a clean, natural way to try CBD plant-based relief for your pet.
NuLeaf Naturals CBD comes from hemp grown organically on farms in Colorado with pristine rocky mountain water. Along with being one of the very few brands that have been organically certified by the USDA.
And they use an advanced Co2 extraction method that preserves more beneficial plant compounds without the use of harsh chemical solvents.
NuLeaf Naturals CBD Pet Oil For Dogs Flavors and Price
Available in unflavored.
- CBD Pet Oil 300mg bottle, each drop has 3mg of CBD -$19.00
- CBD Pet Oil 900mg bottle, each drop has 3mg of CBD -$49.00
- CBD Pet Oil 1800mg bottle, each drop has 3mg of CBD -$89.00
The positive ratings on their website rave about everything from the quality and effectiveness of the products to fast shipping and these folks at NuLeaf are the greatest to help with questions one may have about their products.
Use code "HempJubilation" for 20% off at checkout.
5. CBDfx CBD Oil For Pets - Best Organic
Brand and Product Description
CBDfx CBD oil is among one of the best organic CBD oils on the market. And the same quality CBD oil that CBDfx uses in its products for humans is used in their specifically formulated CBD Oil for Dogs.
Their Medically Reviewed CBD Oil for Dogs is great as a natural calming or general wellness product for dogs of all breeds and sizes.
CBDfx CBD Oil for Dogs comes with natural bacon flavor in four different strength formulations: 250mg for small dogs (under 20 lb.), 500mg for medium dogs (ranging from 20 to 60lb.), 1000mg for large dogs (over 60lb.), and 2000mg extra strength for the largest dogs (over 100lb.).
CBDfx’s hemp is organically grown in the USA, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and free from pesticides, heavy metals, and other chemicals. Also, the brand tests all of its products eight times, to be sure.
It also claims that its products are created in facilities that follow Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs).
CBDfx CBD Oil Dog Tincture Flavors and Price
Available in chicken or beef.
- CBD Oil Dog Tincture 250mg bottle, small breeds under 20lb -$29.99
- CBD Oil Dog Tincture 500mg bottle, medium breeds, 20-60lb - $44.99
- CBD Oil Dog Tincture 1000mg bottle, large breeds, 60lb+ - $69.99
- CBD Oil Dog Tincture 2000mg bottle, extra-strength for large breeds, 100lb+ - $99.99
The brand's reputation has received countless positive customer reviews against relatively few negative ones. And reviews on CBDfx’s customer service are positive also.
For the loving dog owner on a tight budget who wants to maximize their pet’s quality of life, CBDfx Pet CBD Oil is a good doggone option.
Use code "HEMPJUBILATION" for 15% off at checkout.
6. ABSC Organics CBD Oil For Dogs - Best Clinically Tested
Brand and Product Description
ABSC Organics (Applied Basic Science Corp.) is a unique company with a small variety of Pure Organic CBD oils to choose from depending on the size of your dog.
Plus, their pure CBD oils are the only line of dog CBD products that have been clinically tested with research to back up the safety and efficacy of these tinctures.
ABSC CBD Oil for Dogs comes in four different strength options, each one designed for different weight classes of dogs:
300mg for small dogs (Ideal for dogs up to 20lbs.), 600mg for medium dogs (Ideal for dogs weighing between 20 to 50lbs.), 1200mg for large dogs (Ideal for dogs weighing between 50-100lbs.), and 2400mg extra strength for the largest dogs (Ideal for dogs over 100lbs+).
These CBD extracts are derived from organically-grown hemp plants in Colorado and feature a natural chicken flavoring that's safe for pets (and more pleasant-tasting to your dog).
Applied Basic Science Corp. (ABSC) is a different kind of CBD company. Instead of a flashy website or branding or a large product range, they produce a small variety of Pure Organic CBD Oil with some impressive scientific credentials.
Applied Basic Science CBD Oil For Pets Flavors and Price
300mg, 500mg, and 2400mg are available in chicken flavor.
600mg is available in Bacon, Salmon, or Chicken-flavored CBD Oil.
- Organic CBD Oil for Pets 300mg bottle, ideal for small dogs up to 20lbs -$50.00
- Organic CBD Oil for Pets 500mg bottle, ideal for medium dogs, 20-50lbs - $100.00
- Organic CBD Oil for Pets 1200mg bottle, ideal for dogs weighing between 50-100lbs - $165.00
- Organic Extra Strength CBD Oil for Dogs 2400mg bottle, ideal for dogs over 100lbs+ - $300.00
ABSC Organics customers give the company high ratings and thanking them for providing a quality CBD oil that they can feel confident in giving to their babies.
Together with the fact that the owner would take the time to call and go over everything with its customers speaks volumes as to the exceptional level of customer service.
This is a great choice for the loving dog owner who wants effective relief from epilepsy, osteoarthritis, and pain management based on scientific research.
7. HempMy Pet CBD Oil - Most Recommended By Independent Veterinarians
Brand and Product Description
This organic CBD oil for dogs was clinically studied for the use of Cannabidiol-Rich Hemp Oil Extract to Treat Canine Osteoarthritis-Related Pain Study.
And over 93% of the dogs in the study demonstrated benefits from the addition of this hemp-derived CBD oil that include decreased pain scores, improvements in mobility, and improved quality of life.
HempMy Pet CBD Oil for Dogs comes in two different unflavored strength options: 250mg, and 1000mg of CBD and also has all the other cannabinoids including CBG and CBC, plus all the terpenes and other natural properties of the plant.
This CBD oil is infused with certified organic hemp seed oil rich in Omegas for energy as well as Vitamins B1, B2, B6, E, Calcium, Magnesium, Copper, Potassium, Phosphorus, GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid), Enzymes, and more.
All of its pet CBD products are derived from their own strain-specific, organically-grown Colorado hemp.
HempMy Pet CBD Oil Flavors and Price
Available in unflavored.
- Organic Pet CBD Oil 250mg bottle, 8mg per ml -$56.05
- Organic Pet CBD Oil 1000mg bottle, 32mg per ml -$113.05
Customer feedback regarding how they have been using HempMy Pet products include: Pain and inflammation relief, less anxiety, reduction in occurrences of seizures, reduction in the size of growths, increase in energy, and increase of mobility in older pets.
Pet’s coats also appear to be shiny, and not as dry after taking the product consistently.
Possible Benefits Of Giving Your Dog CBD Oil
While there’s no definitive scientific data on using CBD to treat dogs, there’s personal evidence from dog owners suggesting it can treat pain, anxiety, as well as helping to control seizures.
Here are just a few reasons why you might want your dogs to try CBD.
- Anxiety and stress
- Moderate to severe pain
- Chronic inflammation
- Arthritis & joint pain
- Symptoms from cancer
Choosing The Right CBD Oil For Your Dog
When it comes to giving your dog CBD, there are a few things you should know about choosing the best CBD oil products. Making sure they not only have the right product, but also a safe product, is critical.
First of all, make sure you buy the correct potency for your dog’s size. Most oils come in different CBD potencies designed for different weight classes of dogs.
A good rule of thumb when selecting the best CBD oil for dogs is to look on the product’s website for “certificates of analysis” and other evidence of third-party testing.
These certificates tell you things like how much THC is in the product, if products are pesticide and heavy metal-free and if the ingredients and quality are as advertised.
It’s also always a good idea to check out customer reviews to help you figure out if the product works and if the company is trustworthy.
Make sure you research each brand before purchasing and consult a veterinarian about whether or not you should give CBD to your dog.
Giving Your Dog The Right Dosage
Every dog is different. They come in all shapes and sizes. So the amount of CBD oil you give your dog depends on many factors. These include the weight, size, and condition you’re treating.
Fortunately, most CBD oil brands have a dosage chart on their website. Keep in mind that each company’s dosing guidelines can vary widely because the concentration of CBD varies in the oils they produce.
Generally, you want to start with a small dosage and gradually increase it if necessary to the company's dosing guidelines.
And if your dog may need more than the recommended starting dose it's usually best to slowly increase the CBD dosage and carefully monitor your pet's reaction to find their perfect dose.
Actually, it's best to keep a close eye on their reaction to the CBD oil from the first dose.
Since all dogs are unique, it may take some time for you to notice a difference in your dog. Some dogs show results right away, while others take a few weeks or longer. The key is to be patient, consistent, and stick with it.
If you have any questions or need help? Please don't hesitate to contact the company you purchased your CBD from. All the CBD brands listed here have a phone number and email address, and some have live chat easily found on their website.
Possible Side Effects Of CBD Use In Dogs
While there’s no scientific data on the side effects of CBD usage for dogs. However, according to PubMed, CBD has not been shown to be detrimental in healthy dogs.
To minimize any potential side effects, make sure you are following the proper dosage.
There are some side effects that your dog might suffer as a result of CBD, particularly if given too much.
- Drug interaction: Some CBD oils can interact with other medications that your pet may be taking. It is best to talk with your veterinarian about the use of CBD oil before starting them on any new supplement.
- Drowsiness: Many dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
- Dry mouth: Research in humans has shown that CBD can decrease the production of saliva. For dogs, this would show as increased thirst.
- Lower blood pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even if the drop is small, it might create a brief feeling of light-headedness in dogs.
- Diarrhea: When introducing a new food or supplement, dog diarrhea is an expected side effect. The gastrointestinal upset may not be caused by the CBD itself but possibly the carrier oil. Offering CBD oil at mealtime as opposed to on an empty stomach can help with your dog’s digestive system.
- Vomiting: CBD oil has a bitter taste, most dogs are not very fond of it. In fact, in some dogs, the bitterness is so repulsive it can cause vomiting, so try a flavored product or mix the oil with your dog’s regular meal.
As with any medication or supplement, consult your veterinarian, start with small amounts and monitor its daily effects if any.
Related Article: Is CBD Safe For Dogs
Here Are 5 CBD Safety Considerations For Dogs
- Consulting with your trusted vet. Because CBD can interfere with your dog’s ability to metabolize certain medications, before using CBD oil or dog treats, you'll want to make sure there is no risk of interactions.
- Always examine the ingredients. The product quality of your CBD is going to be a huge determining factor on whether the CBD is safe and effective. Second, make sure that they didn’t use any unnecessary chemicals in the cultivation process. You’ll also want to check the ingredients for any contaminants or excess fillers. Finding the best CBD oil for dogs starts with the company giving people an honest product made with integrity, and that journey starts with the ingredients.
- THC-free oil. The oil must come from hemp plants and not marijuana plants to ensure less than 0.3% THC content.
- Using the right CBD dosage. The general rule of thumb is that dogs should be able to handle between 1 and 5 milligrams of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight a day. The correct CBD dosage for dogs depends on several factors, including age, breed, size, overall health, and underlying ailment
- Gradual CBD introduction. It's highly recommended to start with a small CBD amount (usually half the recommended dose) and gradually increase it while allowing your dog’s body to adjust to the CBD oil.
How We Chose The Best CBD Oil For Dogs
We chose these best CBD oil for dogs products based on criteria we think are good indicators of safety, quality, efficiency (effectiveness of the product), and transparency. Each product in this article:
- Strength — How much CBD is in the oil?
- Overall Ingredients — Are added ingredients for flavor all natural?
- Source — Does the company source their hemp in the USA?
- Transparency and Honest Marketing — Can you easily access independent third-party lab results for the oil and are they accurately labeled?
- Safety — passes tests for pesticides, heavy metals, and molds, according to the COA
- Efficiency — We had to make sure there’s some sort of evidence that CBD oil for dogs in question actually works. We analyzed test results for potency to measure this and rummaged through hundreds of verified reviews online to see what people really have to say.
- Value — Is the CBD oil for dogs reasonably priced based on quality and potency?
- Customer Service — Do they have a knowledgeable, friendly customer service team that is easy to contact?
- User Trust and Effectiveness — What are customers saying about the product?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is CBD Oil safe to give my dog?
Unfortunately, there are many unanswered questions about the safety of CBD in dogs. However, CBD appears to be safe and well-tolerated by animals, according to a 2017 World Health Organization report.
One big thing dog owners need to be aware of is quality control. Because the CBD market isn't well regulated yet, CBD products can contain ingredients that aren't listed on their labels, including THC, which is known to be toxic to dogs.
One way to avoid potentially harmful ingredients is to only use CBD products that come with an up-to-date certificate of analysis, or COA. A COA is issued when an independent lab tests the product to confirm its ingredients, THC amount ( 0.3% is the legal limit), potency, contaminants, among other things.
Because we still know very little about CBD use in dogs, it's really important for owners to know that and use it with caution until there is more information available.
How long before CBD starts working for my dog?
It depends on what condition you are using CBD oil to help with.
For instance, if you are giving CBD for anxiety problems, it typically can start to calm your dog within 30-60 minutes.
For more chronic issues such as arthritis, joint pain, and mobility, it may take 2 – 4 weeks or more for optimal results, especially as you experiment with how high of a dose your dog needs in order to get relief from his symptoms.
Monitor for signs of relief after providing your dog with the recommended dose and adjust as needed until he’s contented.
Can a dog overdose on CBD?
Overdosing on CBD pet products can cause undesirable effects on your dog. For example, if your pet ingests too much of a hemp product, he or she may become lethargic and uncoordinated, causing them to stumble around or simply rest until these feelings subside.
Please contact your veterinarian if you have concerns about your pet having an adverse reaction of any kind.
The length of these adverse symptoms will vary for each pet, but most animals should recover fully from a CBD overdose within a matter of hours.
How Can I Prevent My Dog From Overdosing on CBD Oil?
In most cases, accidental CBD overdoses occur in Dogs because their caretakers are following inaccurate or unclear administration instructions, causing them to give their furry best pal too much of a CBD-based supplement or oil.
However, pet parents can avoid this issue by starting out low and slow and investing in a CBD product provider with clear administration guidelines.
How to store CBD Oil for my dog?
In order to preserve the potency and freshness of your dog’s CBD oil, you need to store it in a cool, dry, dark location like the refrigerator and make sure the bottle is tightly sealed.
These are the four main conditions to consider when storing CBD oil for your dog:
Light. It is necessary to keep your CBD products away from direct sunlight. You’ll want to store your oil away from windows or areas where the sun might be able to reach it.
Humidity. Similar to how overexposure to heat can potentially spoil CBD oil, humidity and moisture can threaten your CBD’s quality and safety by creating mold.
Air Exposure. Like light and heat, too much air can lessen the shelf life of CBD oil. This is why CBD oil comes in an airtight bottle designed to prevent air exposure.
Here are places you shouldn’t store your oil:
- Within reach of children or pets
- Inside your car, truck, or any other vehicle
- Near the stove, oven, radiators, air conditioners
- Next to a window or other light source
Most CBD oils come with storage directions on the bottle. So make sure you follow them.
Final Thoughts on The Best CBD Oil For Dogs
Introducing CBD to your dog’s wellness routine can be an exciting journey.
With that being said, it’s important to follow the many tips placed in this article to ensure you’re getting the best experience out of it.
To review, the first thing you should do is consult with your veterinarian to play things safe.
Second, read the third-party test results, look into the reputation of the brand and read the reviews on the company's website to help you choose the most suitable CBD for your dog.
Third, be aware of proper dosing, factoring in their weight, breed type, size, overall health, underlying ailments, and medications they might be on, the type of CBD oil you’re administering, and why you’re giving it to them.
And finally, be patient and gradual with your approach, honing in on making this a beneficial experience for both you and your loved pet.
We wish you the best of luck in your search and hope our best CBD oil for dogs recommendations led you on the right path for bringing about a lifetime of good health for your dog.